#4 of the 25 Worst Christmas Songs...Ever
This is my favorite time of the year and I’ve taken great pleasure in spending (or some say wasting) company time counting down the 25 Worst Christmas Songs…Ever. By all means, this is not me being a Scrooge. I’m crazy about the Holidays! (But not “crazy” enough to wear a Mistletoe Belt Buckle to the office Xmas party) Anyway, as we get closer to the Jolly Ol’ Elf’s next appearance, the songs on this list will continue to get worse and worse. Happy Holidays!
Well, I’m sure you knew this one was coming. It’s been voted most annoying, irritating, obnoxious (and whatever) Christmas song for years. Elmo & Patsy’s tail of Grandma getting run over by a reindeer sounds like something Alfalfa & the Little Rascals listened to back in the day. Surprizingly it actually hit the airwaves about the same time CD’s were invented. The song features a dysfunctional family with whack jobs for grandparents. Grandpa was a beer guzzling, football junky with a pension for gambling. Grandma was a snow blind, pill popping, alcoholic that was run down by a reindeer. Oh, and apparently the reindeer attacked Grandma? I’m not buying it from a song that tags Santa as a dude that “plays with elves.” WTH?
Lately, ‘wacky’ DJ Bob Rivers has kinda taken over the whole Goofy Christmas Song genre. But don’t worry, Dr. Elmo is still cranking out the Christmas Novelty Jamz (Does anyone remember Percy, the Puny Poinsettia?) and is probably still laughing all the way to the bank.
Didja know: This song was also made into a Holiday cartoon? Yep, it sucked too.
The 25 Worst Christmas Songs….Ever.
25. Christmas Tree – Lady Gaga
24. Blue Christmas – Porky Pig (aka Mark McCollum)
23. 8 Days of Christmas – Destiny’s Child
22. Last Christmas – Wham!
21. The Christmas Song – Alvin & The Chipmunks
20. Mele Kalikimaka – Jimmy Buffet
19. Hey Santa – Carnie & Wendy Wilson
18. Oh Come All Ye Faithful – Twisted Sister
17. Santa Baby – Madonna
16. Macarena Christmas - Los Del Rio
15. Little Drummer Boy – Jessica & Ashlee Simpson
14. All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth – Spike Jones & His City Slickers
13. Santa’s Beard – The Beach Boys
12. Have a Cheeky Christmas – The Cheeky Girls
11. Please Daddy (Don't get drunk this Christmas) - John Denver
10. Wonderful Christmastime - Paul McCartney
09. Santa Claus is coming to town - Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
08. Baby, its cold outside - Barry Manilow & K.T. Oslen
07. Christmas Conga - Cyndi Lauper
06. I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas - Gayla Peevey
05. Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid
04. Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer - Elmo & Patsy